Thursday, 3 September 2015

JUST IN!! Army Recalls 3,032 Sacked Soldiers

Army Recalls 3,032 Sacked Soldiers
 
About 3,032 of the 5000 soldiers that were disengaged from active service over alleged cowardice charges in the counter-insurgency operations to crush Boko Haram have been re-engaged by the Nigerian Army.

This announcement was made by the army acting spokesman, Col. Sani Usman in a brief statement, The Punch reports.

The soldiers are expected to be screened before they would undergo a retaining exercise as part of the reintegration requirement into the service.

The Nigerian army had expressed its preparedness to review the cases of soldiers that were dismissed from service over insubordination, cowardice, mutiny and other related allegations.

The decision to revisit the case of the affected soldiers previously involved in the ongoing operations against the Boko Haram insurgency in the north was spearheaded by the current chief of army staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai.

Buratai had dissolved the active general military courts-martial and constituted a review panel that looked into the cases of the dismissed soldiers.

Meanwhile, some of the soldiers who had been dismissed about 15 years ago for various offences had earlier appeared before the review panel  but were not lucky as they were asked to leave the venue.

The soldiers were said to have been dismissed from the Army for various offences since the regime of former president Olusegun Obasanjo.

Majority of the affected soldiers were dismissed from the service for violating a law said to have forbidden the personnel of the Army from marrying foreigners.