Thursday, 8 October 2015

Army Re-strategising To Destroy Boko Haram

Following recent suicide attacks by Boko Haram, the Nigerian army has mapped-out new plans to oust the sect on or before the December deadline as set by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Commander Operation Polo Shield in the Niger-Delta, Maj-Gen Alani Okunlola (L) Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin, During an operational tour of military formations in Port Harcourt.

Recalled that President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, August 13 decorated new services chiefs and gave them an ultimatum to end Boko Haram insurgency.

President Buhari charged the service chiefs to map out strategies to defeat Boko Haram in ‘three months’.

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) promised Nigerians that the army will meet meet the deadline given by President Muhammadu Buhari for crushing the Boko Haram insurgency, and to that effect, bombardment of identified Boko Haram terrorists’ location intensified, leading to the recapture of territories previously taken by the jihadist group.

However, recent suicide attacks have cast doubts on the possibility that the Nigerian armed forces will be able to beat the deadline set by the president .

In a bid to rekindle hope and faith in the masses, the military has re-affirmed that it is re-strategising to end insurgency in the Northeast.

Chief of Defence Staff, Gabriel Olonisakin, said the army will definitely meet the target as set by President Buhari.

Olonisakin made the statement on Wednesday, October 7 in Port Harcourt while on tour of military formations and units in Rivers.

He said: “We are currently working on the December deadline by re-addressing our strategies to ensure that we meet the target.”

He mentioned that his visit to Port Harcourt was to ascertain the preparedness of troops to combat terrorism and insecurity in the nation.

The defence chief noted that efforts were currently ongoing to efficiently and tactically enable troops perform optimally.

He sympathised with the families of seven soldiers who lost their lives during a gun battle with members of Boko Haram sect in Damaturu, on Tuesday, October 6.

“I must say that we commiserate with the families of those who lost their dear ones in that incident.

“The military is on top of the situation to ensure that we checkmate such re-occurrence,” he said.