Thursday, 19 November 2015

N1.6bn Fraud: EFCC Forced Me To Sign Statement – Nyame

Jolly Nyame, a former governor of Taraba state has alleged that his statement at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in 2007 was forced out of him.

Nyame is facing a 41-count charge bordering on criminal misappropriation of state funds amounting to N1.64billion while he was the governor of Taraba state between 1999 and 2007.

However at the resumption of hearing by the EFCC yesterday, November 18, Nyame who was cross-examined by the prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacob (SAN), said the statement was forced on him, Daily Post reports.

He said: “I was forced to sign because we could not have proceeded.

“I was there with them, they wrote what they wrote and I was asked to sign.

“They (EFCC) wrote and told me to abide by what they wanted me to say or do.

 “We had an agreement that I will leave early.”

But when Jacob asked him (Nyame) why he had not complain until now since 2007 he wrote the statement, he responded: “There was no need because they had an agreement.”

Nyame’s allegation comes after the EFCC said at last week hearing that it did not obtain the statement of former Gov. Jolly Nyame of Taraba by pressure.

A statement issued on the trial by Wilson Uwujaren, the head, Media and Publicity of EFCC, stated that an operative of the commission, Ishaq Salihu, disclosed this before the court.

Uwujaren said Salihu, a prosecution witness, who was led in evidence by EFCC lawyer, Adebisi Adeniyi from Rotimi Jacob (SAN), Chamber, told the court that Nyame’s statement was made voluntarily.

“Salihu was one of the investigators that took the statement of the accused sometime in July 2007.

“According to him, EFCC, as a law enforcement agency, has great respect for professionalism and would not do anything to either undermine people’s rights or the rule of law,” the statement said.

Justice Adebukola Banjoko has adjourned the case till today, November 19 for definite defence.