Friday, 2 October 2015

Female suicide bombers hit Maiduguri - 14 killed by 4 suicide bombers – Nigerian Army

14 killed by 4 suicide bombers – Nigerian Army

MAIDUGURI—Multiple female suicide bombers, yesterday evening, sneaked into Sageri, Ajilari and other communities on the outskirts of Maiduguri, Borno State capital, and detonated bombs which left scores dead and many injured.


Ajilari ward, which is on outskirt of Maiduguri, had two days to Sallah, witnessed a suicide bomb attack which left over 100 people dead with 97 seriously injured.

The multiple explosions in Sageri and Ajilari occurred simultaneously at about 7:30p.m., after which men of the 7 Division, Nigerian Army, responded with their artillery fire power.

A source close to the scene at Sageri told Vanguard that the female suicide bombers who sneaked into the area on tricycles, detonated their explosives at a popular public gathering near at tea seller joint (Mai Shai).




Maiduguri bomb blast:

The Nigerian Army has confirmed the killing of 14 persons, including four suicide bombers, in a bomb explosion at Sajeri area of Maiduguri in Borno.

The acting Army spokesman, Sani Usman, confirmed the incident in a statement on Friday.

Mr. Usman, a colonel, said 39 other persons were injured in the explosion which occurred near the Ajilari railway crossing on Thursday evening.

According to the statement, security operatives and emergency management team were mobilised to take care of the wounded.

“Although details of the attack are still sketchy, suffice it to state that four Boko Haram terrorists detonated their vests simultaneously.

“Three of the terrorists detonated their bombs in the same area while the fourth detonated in front of a mosque.

“It has been confirmed that 14 people have lost their lives, including the suicide bombers while 39 others were wounded,’’ the statement said.

Mr. Usman appealed to residents of the metropolis, especially those in the affected areas, to remain calm and continue to be vigilant as security operatives were in control of the situation.

He assured the public that Boko Haram had been decimated and therefore had no capacity to reverse the progress already made in the ongoing counter-insurgency operations.

In a related development, the Army announced that 80 Boko Haram fighters on Thursday surrendered to troops of the Army 7 Division in Bama Local Government Area of Borno.

The Army said the repentant terrorists comprised commanders, foot soldiers and the terrorists’ food suppliers.

It said that the terrorists surrendered as a result of the intense heat put on them by joint forces operating in different theatres in the North-East.

“The terrorists among whom were commanders, suppliers and foot soldiers confirmed to have taken part in several terrorists attacks especially on Bama town, Borno, surrendered,’’ the statement said.

“It will be recalled that we have repeatedly stated that surrender is the only option available to the insurgents.

“The Nigerian Army and Nigerian Air Force, in conjunction with other security agencies, are totally committed to the achievement of the 3-month Presidential deadline for the eradication of terrorism in Nigeria.

“Other terrorists are encouraged to also surrender or face total annihilation, as the new name of the operation states ‘achievement of total peace is a must’,’’ it said. (NAN)