Get all your News, Latest Jobs In Nigeria | Current Jobs Available - 10 Of New Jobs Added Daily‎ - Notification is our JOB at Chat212 NIGERIA

Sunday 5 October 2014

My Story - Boko Haram were coming - "We all ran but my mother did not want to leave."

Desperate...

"There was panic in Michika as people heard that Boko Haram were coming," says Sauki, recalling the day in early September when the jihadists captured another town near the Cameroonian border.

"We all ran but my mother did not want to leave."


Her eyes welling up with tears, Sauki is desperate for news of what happened to her.

"I met a woman who told me she saw my mother when they were hiding in the fields and my mother begged her for some food which they shared.

"But I don't know where she is now. I've no way of reaching my mother - she doesn't have a phone," Sauki tells me.

There is a dire need for help with tracing relatives but with so many areas too dangerous to reach as the war rages on, Sauki and other shattered families can get little help for now.

"I want to believe that where their parents are hiding now is very difficult terrain," says Haruna Hamman Furo of Adamawa State's Emergency Management Agency.

"They are on top of mountains and some have crossed over into neighbouring countries of Cameroon and Chad so communication is very difficult."

Mr Furo says that the task may be easier "at the end of the day when things settle down".

For several years people have been running from the brutal Boko Haram attacks and then - when possible - returning home as soon as they feel it is safe.

But the situation has now changed. The jihadists are holding territory so entire communities have run away and have no idea when they can return - hence the need for these camps in cities like Maiduguri and Yola.

Many of those fleeing have been uprooted over and over again. Amos Amthe says that Boko Haram members overran Gwoza town in August, moving into his home and forcing his family to run from the guns three more times. Sometimes they fled with the soldiers.
Share:
google.com, pub-5938728315920271, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Blog Archive

RECENT POSTS

Support