Get all your News, Latest Jobs In Nigeria | Current Jobs Available - 10 Of New Jobs Added Daily‎ - Notification is our JOB at Chat212 NIGERIA

Friday 16 June 2023

TODAY'S PROCEEDINGS... PETER OBI VRS INEC & OTHERS -

 



*COMPREHENSIVE UPDATE OF TODAY'S PROCEEDINGS AT PEPT ,ABUJA IN CASE BETWEEN PETER OBI VRS INEC & OTHERS - 16/06/2023* 



The secretary just walked in and made an announcement.


Someone stole a laptop belonging to a lawyer yesterday.


The laptop was stolen during PDP’s case.


The CCTV picked up the face of the person who stole the laptop and they are actively searching for him.


Everyone has been advised to hold their properties close and watchful since people are now stealing in the courtroom.


The judges are now seated.


Justice Tsammani: Good Morning everyone, let’s get full cooperation today. Remember today is Friday so let’s be timely.


The clerk has now announced the case.


Peter Obi is now with the microphone with a face full of smile.


Peter Obi: Respectfully my lord, I am Mr. Peter Gregory Obi for the petitioners.


The APC representative is also here.


Saturday Monsignia: May it please this honourable court, I am Saturday Monsignia Esquire, Deputy Director Legal Services APC.


This one Saturday has started adding Esquire to his name, he doesn’t use to say it before oh, he wants to oppress us that are Esquire by association.


Lead Counsel:


Labour Party - SAN LIVY UZOUKWU


INEC - SAN AB MAHMOUD


Tinubu and Shetimma - SAN AKIN OLUJIMI


APC: SAN LO FAGBEMI


SAN Livy is now with the mic without wasting time.


SAN Livy: My lord, we would like to continue with the witness from yesterday.


The witness steps out, and he’s reminded that he’s still on oath


INEC: Good morning 


Witness: Morning


INEC: Can you tell the court where you were on election day


Witness: On election day


INEC: Answer me properly. I know you have been thought to repeat after me to waste my time


LP: Objection that’s wrong


Justice Tsamamni: Why would you say that where you there when he was told 


INEC: Where were you, Mr. Mathematical Statistician


Witness: I voted


INEC: Where you requested to do the Labour Party analysis


Witness: I was requested to produce the report 


INEC: And you were paid for it


Witness: Nobody paid me for it 


INEC: You acted like a patriotic Nigerian


LP: Objection it’s too early to be standing up. That’s not right


Justice Tsamamni: Ikwueto let him go on, please


INEC: You did it as a patriotic nigerian 


Witness: I am a patriotic Nigerian, and I wanted to have something to teach my student with.


INEC: Your primary source of data was IREV portal 


Witness: Yes


INEC: In your witness statement, you made reference to forms EC8As as well as results uploaded on the IREVs


Witness: Not really


INEC: What do you mean by reports on the IReV portal


Witness: It is copies of forms EC8As uploaded


INEC: IREV and EC8As you’re referring to the same document 


Witness: No, they are different 


INEC: What’s the difference 


Witness: The forms of EC8As are like this (holding a paper) while the ones on IREVs are copies of it


INEC: The form EC8A uploaded on the portal is the only thing you see on IREV


Witness: Not really


Justice Tsammani: Not really is not an answer 


Witness: I said not really because his question doesn’t need a definite answer.


INEC: The form EC8A is the only thing you’d see on IREV


Witness: No


INEC: What else 


Witness: There were blurred images 


INEC: What else did you see


Witness: Some of them did not relate to the analysis done as, for instance, senate and HOR results were there on presidential


INEC: Prof, when you refer to blurred EC8As on IREV, you don’t expect the physical copies to blur


Witness: I didn’t see the physical copies


INEC: In all your reviews, you didn’t see anything on the portal that suggests there’s an electronic collation on the portal. Am I right 


Witness: Anything electronic


INEC: You’re a prof I’m sure you speak English clearly


Witness: The portal is an electronic collation system 


Justice Tsamamni: The portal, just the portal


Witness: Yes 


INEC: Are you suggesting to the court that the portal can collate and tabulating result 


Witness: The portal can only hold what you input, so it’s not capable of doing that


INEC: You made mention of 18,088 blurred EC8As, and you were made to use the LP agents sheets for your analysis 


Witness: I didn’t only use Labour Party agents forms


INEC: You referred to Labour Party agents' results 


Witness: That part says


INEC cuts in: I didn’t ask you to read it.

You referenced Labour Party agents


Witness: Yes, I did


INEC: So where are their EC8As? Did you attach them to your report


Witness: I believe it has been tendered.


INEC: Did you attach it 


Witness: No, I did not


INEC: You’re not an election expert, Prof


Witness: It depends on what you mean by election expert 


INEC: What do you understand by that. I suggest that there’s no way you could have undertaken the task on paragraph C3 of your witness statement, which states compliance regulations and electoral rules of INEC


Witness: If I understand you clearly, the elections act, and the guides state there should be online transmission 


INEC: Are you an election expert?

Can you declare compliance


Witness: Yes, I can declare compliance 


INEC: Can you confirm with the court when you concluded your assignment to LP?


Witness: It was 19th of March


INEC: Look at the Rivers State document, Degema LGA of Rivers

Read the Polling Unit


Witness: Omoge Memorial Hall


Justice Tsammani: Let’s have the PU number


Witness: 002


Justice Ugo: What’s the Ward 


INEC: Ward 7


INEC: Ao witness, what’s the accredited voters, it’s 40 correct, number of voters is 40 correct 


Witness: Correct


INEC: There’s no over voting, correct


Justice Ugo: Help us, na, his time is going

40 plus 40 is 80


Witness: There’s no over voting.


INEC: That would be all my lord.


Tinubu’s Lawyers 

Tinubu lawyer: Your report covers only 2 states, Benue and Rivers State


Witness: At the point when the report was requested for


Tinubu lawyer: But you covered only 2 states


Witness: No, I did all the states, but those were the 2 I could present when I was called to tender, and the documents tendered speak for themselves


Tinubu: Please, Prof., do not be rude. Answer my question


Witness: I didn’t mean to be rude, my lord


Tinubu: You tendered for Benue


Witness: Yes and others


Tinubu: Did you tender for rivers 


Witness: Yes 


Tinubu: So why didn’t you tender for Oyo State


Justice Tsamamni: So you want him to tender for your own state


Tinubu: So apart from Rivers State, which other state did you tender

Prooooof

Prof, which other state did you tender 


Witness: You’re asking the questions and no smiling so I don’t get you


‘The whole courtroom is laughing’


Tinubu lawyer: You have not played with this witness statement to have done any analysis for a court case in election matter like this 


Witness: No


Tinubu lawyer: You have never done it, okay.

You said you were requested on 20th Feb 2023 by LP to carry out data analysis of the elections that have not even been held.


Witness: Yes 


Tinubu lawyer: So all this was done in anticipation that the Labour Party would lose the election


‘The whole courtroom shouts AHHH’


Witness: No that’s not it.


Tinubu lawyer: You were also in that engagement requested to determine INEC’s compliance of the regulations of the electoral act.


Witness: Yes


Tinubu lawyer: So I find it strange that after 20th Feb 2023, you didn’t give them what they contracted you for.

Now you’re here in subpeona


Witness: Well, at the point of start of the contract, I didn’t expect to be in court. And I took the job as I saw a means of helping my student.


Tinubu lawyer: So 


Justice Tsammani cuts in, I believe you heard the bell 

Your time is up.


It’s now time for APC


APC: My lord, I am very weak in mathematics 


Justice Tsamani: But you’re here to find x


APC: I will pass the mic to my colleague SAN Owonikoko 


APC: You’ve done well in your career 

What’s a theory in mathematics to say a document is blurred


Witness: There’s no theory


APC: So I will be correct to say that your report, based on that part, is not on expertise. Anyone that isn’t blind would see what is blurred right


Witness: Of course 


APC: What level of numeral literacy does one require to do the addition of polling units result 


Witness: If we go by what you asked, INEC won’t use experts


APC: So you don’t need an expert to do simple arithmetic 


Witness: Depends on what you mean as simple and arithmetic is not so simple, and experts are needed at some point


‘He’s talking so fast’


Witness: You don’t need expert


APC: Your choice of rivers and benue as touch stone of your analysis was a random pick and not based on any theory


Witness: Yes, it was random


APC: You were aware that at the presidential election, 3 leading parties won a number of states in line of votes

APC, ELLU PEE, and PDP


‘Everyone is laughing’

‘Why did APC lawyer pronounce LP like that, abi he’s a backyard Obidient’


Witness: My job has nothing to do with who wins and who did not


APC: But did you know as a Nigerian who won


Witness: What it seems may not be what you’ve heard. 


Justice Bolaji: Are we recording, or we don’t need this because we need to record


APC: Who won the election in Rivers based on what INEC announced


Witness: Based on what INEC declared, I don’t know


APC: Okay, you don’t know who won in Benue State 


Witness: Who won is different from who was declared.


APC: You used 2 states that were won by APC


Witness: I can not say for now


APC: The exercise you carried out here has some elements of statistics


Witness: Actual I dealt on exact data


APC: We will find that out today.

What you did was sampling


Witness: No, sampling has to do with forecasting. This was done with the exact result


Justice Bolaji: It is as if it’s only 2 of you who understand what you are doing.


APC: You don’t know what rivers PU is or Benue, but the total of Rivers State and Benue doesn’t reach up to 18,088 blurred you have mentioned.


Witness: It’s not connected


Justice Bolaji: he’s saying it’s not adding up


Witness: Yes, it doesn’t because it’s not connected


LP: My lord, understand his answer he said it’s not connected


Justice Bolaji: that’s not the answer to the questions 


APC: he has answered, "I got f9 in maths, so no problem, do what you want."


APC: As a researcher, without being a statistician, you have to be conscious of the sampling data used


Witness: Like I said before, the data I used is exact data. There’s no random data 


APC: So your choice of Rivers where APC won and Benue was not random sampling and not based on bias


Witness: I think you’re referring to 2 different things


APC: I am not


Witness: My lord, when it comes to the data before us it’s exact data, but when it comes to sampling states, I picked randomly 


APC: Is it right to teach your students based on these 2 states where APC won


Witness: Well it’s not in the point to bring in my students


APC: In your report, you analyzed forms EC8A forms as uploaded on IRev as results on blurred, but you didn’t include EC8B, C, or D


Witness: I based it on EC8A because what it’s at PU level would destabilise everything else from the ground up.


APC: Hmmm, okay, that would be all


Re-Examination


SAN Ikwueto: So when you mentioned that if you use other forms EC8 apart from A


Justice Bolaji cuts in: Well, his answer was clear


Ikwueto: As my lord wishes, I am also in the over voting aspect


INEC: Objection: He wants to change the witness answers that’s not right


LP: Well, he needs to clarify


Justice Ugo: Well it’s clear I heard him


LP: Okay, as the court wishes


The witness from Arise TV is now back for cross examination


He is reminded of his oath.


INEC’s lawyer immediately stands up and states that he doesn’t have any questions for him.


INEC lawyer stands up again


INEC: My lord, I’ve changed my mind. I have questions 


INEC: What is transfer


Witness: Transfer is the movement of data from one designated location to a non designated location 


INEC: And what is transmission. It is different from transfer, right 


Witness: Yes


INEC: So when you broadcasts you’re actually transmitting right 


Witness: Yes


INEC: So you transmitted this


Witness: Yes


INEC: That would be all


Lol what’s all this


Tinubu’s lawyers are now up


Tinubu: Witness, will you confirm that you were not present at Chatham house during this on 17th jan 2023


Witness: Physically, no, it was live streaming, so I was present online


Tinubu: So you were not in Chatham house, you were not invited.

The INEC Chairman Prof. Yakubu Mahmoud is still alive today


Witness laughs: 😀

Yes, I believe so, as far as I know 


Tinubu: That would be all my lord


APC Lawyer Owonikoko is now up


APC: Can you summarize the relevance of the video you played


Witness: INEC decided to use technology for the elections 


APC: Part of that development of technology would include the use of BVAS exclusively for voters


Witness: In my understanding 


APC: Before 2019, voters' register was used, and there was no use of BVAs


Witness: Yes


APC: It was introduced in 2023 election


Witness: I believe so 


APC: Would I be right to say you are familiar with the guidelines of INEC Electoral act for 2023 elections 


Witness: I am not totally familiar 


APC: From the flash that you played, we heard the Chairman of INEC indicating that copies of forms EC8A would be snapped and uploaded on the IReV portal, am I correct


Witness: Yes 


APC: Contents that would be aired live gets to be viewed by editor either live or online 


Witness: Most times


APC: After the 17th of January, do you agree that a federal high court


LP cuts in: Objection, my lord, my witness brought a flash drive to play his video by his company. Why is he asking about federal court

What’s his business.


Justice Tsammani: So what did his testimony state 


LP: That he’s coming here to give evidence of what was covered on that video


Justice Ugo: Let him ask the question before you raise the objection. My only issue with what Owonikoko is saying is the part of federal court, so let him finish. If it’s wrong, we would address 


Justice Bello: You can’t phantom his question. Let him ask it first, and once he’s done, you will object


APC: I just want to ask him about the federal court


Justice Tsammani: Move on from that question. You can’t ask him that, did you tender any federal court document here. You can’t ask him that 


APC: Are you aware that after that interview, INEC said they would no longer electronically transmit the election result 


‘Everyone in court shouts a loud aahhhhhhh’


Ahhhhhhhh

Owonikoko has started 

What is this.


Witness: I am not aware that ever happened.


APC: In a newspaper dated 23rd from Tribune, INEC said they won’t use any electronic transmission. Did you see it?


Justice Tsammani: You can’t ask him that, it’s not his company, he didn’t edit or write that. If you want it in evidence, come and tender it so we can see.


APC: Okay, that would be all my lord.


Labour Party lawyers have now brought in a witness from AIT after much argument from the court.


The judges said there’s no more time 

SAN Livy insisted the witness have to be heard today because she would be attending the burial ceremony of the DAAR Communications boss who died recently.


Justice Tsammani: If it won’t take more than 30 minutes, then go ahead.


SAN Ikwueto has now called out the witness.


The witness has now stepped forward, and she’s been sworn in.


Hmmm, Labour Party’s first female witness.


LP: Tell the court your name


Witness: My name is Ijeoma


LP: Tell the court where you work


Witness: I work at DAAR Communication Limited, the owners of AIT Africa Independent Television, and I have my ID card to prove that.



LP: Tender the ID Card


There was no objection from the respondents on the ID card tendered.


LP: So you’re here to show us something, where is it


Witness: It’s on this flash drive.


LP: We seek to tender my lord.


The flash drive has now been tendered to bar.


All respondents have objected to the flash drive being tendered 


LP: You have the subpoena sent to your company right 


Witness: Yes, I do


LP: We wish to tender my lord.


There was no objection from the respondents to the tendering of the subpoena from AIT


We are now about to watch the film.


Ahn Ahn 

The film is not playing, oh


INEC: There’s a problem with the transmission. There are glitches. It happens all the time


Witness: If you see the witness statement, will you identify it?


LP: Yes, by my signature. She now identifies the document.


SAN Ikwueto: now applies to the court for the flash drive to be played.


There's no objections to the video being played by all respondents.


A video is now being played. It shows Ijeoma Osamor on Democracy today, where she also played a video where Mahmoud is heard to say copies of results will be uploaded to IREV by the BVAS device.

He further assures Nigerians that BVAS has come to stay and ' results will be uploaded. Real-Time and Nigerians will view it being uploaded directly from the polling unit. 

He also assures that it will be done in real time, that it has been done in other elections, and will be done now.

On collection of PVCs, he assures Nigerians that the commission will soon release the guidelines for the further collection of the PVCs.

"That brings it to an end of the video of about 3 minutes."


CROSS-EXAMINATION


INEC: No question, but thanked the witness for coming. 


Tinubu and Shettima : That video you just played, you said in your witness statement that you anchored the program?


Witness: Yes, sir. 


Tinubu: You had cameramen of AIT who took pictures of that program


Witness: Yes, every studio, there are cameramen


Tinubu: It's not part of your duty to handle the camera?


Witness: No, it's not. 


Tinubu: Now, you said the program was streamed live on Facebook and YouTube?


Witness: Yes, my Lord


Tinubu&Shettima: The only other role that you played before we got to this video was that you went to Facebook to download it with your phone?


Witness: Yes


Tinubu: You transferred the video from Facebook to the flash


Witness: I used my phone to get the video when I was asked to provide a copy of the video by the subpoena


Tinubu: How come about the flash drive


Witness: Flash drive was from the office. I sent what I downloaded to them. I sent the link to the office and further transferred it to the drive.


Tinubu: There were 3 levels of operations before the flash drive.


Witness: Yes


Tinubu: The National Chairman of INEC seen in the video is still alive


Witness: Before I came into the court, he was alive, I don't know thereafter.


APC step up


Apc: The report that took place in your program was an event outside of the AIT?


Witness: Yes, my Lord


Apc: The program Democracy Today is anchored inside the AIT Studio?


Witness: Yes, my Lord


Apc: And the AIT crew attended that program?


Witness: Yes, my Lord


Apc: It was their recording brought back to the studio you played during your program?


Witness: Yes, my Lord


Apc: Please, what's the duration of Democracy Today?


Witness: It's 55 minutes


Apc: Every short program, a copy of the recording must be kept in the studio


Witness: Because we stream live. We have the studio copy and online copy


Apc: The one you brought to the court, you got it from cyberspace


Witness: Yes


Apc: Did you have any challenge making a copy from the official copy in the studio


Witness: We only keep them in the libraries, and I got a call by at about 11pm. For shortness of time, I accessed the online copy


Apc: The versions are kept in the library. Do you normally submit copies to NBC


Witness: NBC comes sometimes to get records of broadcast and visitors


Apc: I'll be right to say that since this was an official order of court, you'll prefer to use the official copy.


Witness: If I had enough time, I'd have even gone to my hard drive to get it because I'm the correspondent.


Apc: You were instructed by AIT who received the subpoena


Witness: ASAP, get this as soon as possible.


Apc: Apart from the events of 22nd November, you also gave full coverage of the events leading to presidential elections. 


Witness: Yes


Apc: Do you access copies from other media houses?


Witness: Our news is breaking, we don't accept second hand report


Apc: Do you recall a breaking news of 23rd of February 2023 that INEC chairman was no longer going to be transmission of results.


Witness: INEC chairman I covered did not mention that they will no longer transmit. I was there on the 22nd, 23rd 24th and I can confirm that there was no such.


Apc: So you'll be surprised to see that news.


Witness: Newspaper can get information from interviews. We deal with cameras.


That's would be all.


SAN Ikwueto: applies for the discharge of the witness, who he says. Indeed, she has shown that she's a professional broadcaster 


JusticeTsammani: Are you marketing her?


SAN Ikwueto: My Lord, trading, that's what my people do very well


Go and ask Peter Obi

Lolllll


SAN Ikwueto: Appreciates the court for the indulgence and hands over to SAN Livy, who thanks the court for the opportunity to call their last witness for the day.

He says that with that witness, they do not have any problem with the application of the respondents 4 a free day tomorrow. 


SAN AB Mahmoud: The Court asked for our views, and we gave our views and didn't apply for anything.


SAN Livy: Fine, then we're ready to come back tomorrow, my Lord.


The Court now adjourns till Monday, June 19, 2023, at 2pm for the continuation of hearing.


We are back to the afternoon session, my people.


The court thanks everyone and thanks God that today is Friday!✊

Share:
google.com, pub-5938728315920271, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Blog Archive

RECENT POSTS

Support